The Alaska Private and Home Educators Association is a membership-based coalition of parents and others who have banded together for the furtherance of educational excellence through alternatives to the government-operated public schools.
APHEA is governed by a board of directors consisting of seven members. The President and one-third of the directors are elected each year at the convention. Couples usually serve together on the board and receive one combined vote.
APHEA promotes home education on two levels:
- Provides means to foster contact between home school groups in Alaska. This is done through publications and the presentation of seminars.
- Conducts an annual convention which encourages family participation and includes the following:
- At least one keynote speaker who is well-known in the field of home education.
- Workshops conducted by the keynote speaker and by local teachers and parent educators.
- Curriculum displays. This is an excellent opportunity to obtain information from vendors knowledgeable in various curricula and to get a hands-on look at curricula and supplementary materials
- Fosters and protects a climate of non-interference for home education in Alaska by direct involvement in the political process. This is accomplished by providing information on issues and candidates and by acting as a liaison between home education and the Alaska legislature.
- Keeps APHEA members informed through bulletins concerning pertinent legislation and Department of Education activities.
APHEA Position Statement
Whereas it is a fact recognized by the Supreme Court of these United States that children are not the mere creatures of the state, and;
Whereas it is the first responsibility of parents to care for their children and that part of this responsibility is the training and educating of their children, and;
Whereas we recognize the high duty and right of all parents to direct the education of their children without unreasonable restrictions by the state, and;
Whereas we affirm the fundamental right of parents to provide for their children religious training without interference from the state, and;
Whereas it is a violation of the most basic concept of liberty for the state to standardize children by forcing upon them and their parents state-directed instruction;
WE, THE MEMBERS OF APHEA, DO HEREBY DECLARE:
- Our intention to execute faithfully our parental duty to the best of our God-given abilities;
- Our intention to cooperate together to attain excellence in private education for our children;
- Our intention to resist any attempt by the government of these United States or the State of Alaska to disallow the freedom to exercise our parental rights in education; and
- Our willingness to collaborate to improve the climate of educational freedom in Alaska through public information as well as through legislative means.